Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hummus sans tahini

Last night, I whipped up a batch of pitas while watching Dead Snow (amazing Norwegian zombie movie). While pitas and zombies are good, what a pita really needs is humus. The Joy of Cooking (my culinary bible) has only one recipe, and that calls for tahini, which I am sadly out of. So I turned to the 'net to find a tahini-free recipe. What follows is a hybrid of the Joy version and some recipes that I found on the 'net.

Hummus

1 can (15 oz) chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper

- Put chick peas, garlic, lemon juice and cumin in a food processor. Mix on low speed.
- Slowly add olive oil until proper consistency is achieved (may be slightly less or more than 1/3 cup).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now, with three cloves of garlic, the garlic is very strong. If you're not a fan I recommend using only one or two cloves. Enjoy!

No comments: